“It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
A few weeks ago, we discussed the topic of grit. One of its key components is perseverance, which is the ability to persist with a goal despite experiencing difficulties. In short, perseverance means finishing what we start and pushing forward despite setbacks and complications.
3 Reasons Why Perseverance Is Important:
1. Helps us reach our goals.
2. It improves our mental health by protecting us from depression and anxiety.
3. It improves our relationships by helping us to find ways to solve our problems.
How to Improve Our Perseverance
When it comes to perseverance I believe it's safe to say that we've all encountered a time when we've needed to maneuver our way through adversity to accomplish our goals. Just like grit, perseverance is like a muscle that needs to be activated and some people have it in greater capacity than others. Whether you find yourself being able to flex your perseverance muscle in full form or you barely have it to flex, the great thing is perseverance is a learned trait that can be improved upon at any stage. Regardless of which camp you find yourself in, if you would like to strengthen your perseverance muscle, then try incorporating the following steps:
1. Set goals related to your personal growth and don't compare yourself.
2. Break goals down into manageable components.
3. Identify your why.
4. Focus your attention on your efforts and not on your results.
5. Ask for positive and immediate feedback from trusted people in your life.
6. Evaluate and course correct your work often.
Perseverance is an essential quality for us to have when it comes to reaching any goal, especially our fitness goals. With the right application, as mentioned above, we can use it to our benefit as well as improve upon it for future goals.
Motion, Muscle & Mindset,